PRESS RELEASE: Play Africa Launches Sensory Play Area For Children With Autism During World Autism Awareness MonthJOHANNESBURG (18 April) – Play Africa, a children’s museum based at Constitution Hill, announced today the launch of its new Sensory Play exhibit, a unique hands-on play environment created especially for children with autism and their families. World Autism Awareness Month is currently underway during April 2018 and this initiative nurtures autistic children’s own concept of themselves and their rights as secured in the Constitution. Read Full Press Release
Creative Arts Family Play DayPlay Africa hosted an exciting week of Creative Arts Family Play Days with our friends and supporters from FirstRand’s Employee Volunteers. We brought Play Africa’s favourite exhibits as well as a debut of several new exhibits and programmes to 600 children and 300 adults with support from more than 260 volunteers. Together we showcased play and learning through the creative arts at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg.
Play Date for Refugee ChildrenPlay Africa’s “Play Date” with Sacred Heart College and the Three2Six Project for refugee children in Johannesburg was a major hit. Almost 400 children came together to enjoy a series of outdoor activities including Play Africa’s new Children’s Maker Space prototype, outdoor forts, clay making, collaborative art projects, and building our ‘human rights tree’. Killarny Gazette
- Leratong Preschool from Soweto joins Play Africa in the Children’s Room at Constitution Hill
- Children gather in the Children’s Room at Constitution Hill for an impromptu jam session.
- Play Africa helps families learn how to play together at home, igniting curiosity and life-long learning in Orange Farm with Sesame Workshop and the Lego Foundation.
“We, the People Walk” at Constitution HillHundreds of children and families meet at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg for the annual “We, the People Walk.” Play Africa hosted a post-walk celebration for children and families to engage in conversation about their rights and everyone’s right to play through hands-on exhibits and programmes. VIEW NEWS ARTICLE
- Play Africa joins our friends at Lefika La Phodiso and Fight with Insight to speak about children’s right to safe spaces at Constitution Hill. Children from the inner city come together to express their thoughts through art and play. VIEW NEWS ARTICLE
- Play Africa has a new home at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg!
- Thank you to all of our kind and generous supporters for helping us reach and exceed our #GivingTuesday goal. This allows our team to continue our on-going, hands-on play and learning exhibits and programmes as well as bring new and exciting experiences to children in Johannesburg with our Children’s Maker Space.
- Play Africa visits Orange Farm to demonstrate the power of play-based learning and the meaningful impact it has on children, families and communities, with Sesame Workshop and the Lego Foundation.
- The Play Africa Children’s Planetarium visited more than 1,500 children across Johannesburg this month. During this hands-on, minds-on experience, children explored the night sky in our life-like inflatable planetarium and discovered the sky we know and the stars we share.
- Children across South Africa experienced the solar excise with Play Africa! “Wow! This is a once in a lifetime experience” – Grade 3 Student in KwaZulu-Natal “The best day! One I will never forget in my life.” – Grade 2 Student in Johannesburg
- Play Africa celebrates Women’s Day with the Three2Six Project at Sacred Heart College in Johannesburg. 250 children and 250 of the women in their lives came together to laugh, play, dream and build meaningful memories.
- We celebrate 67 minutes of play on Nelson Mandela Day with Baumann Barlow ECD Centre.
- Play Africa launches our new children’s book at the Zoo in collaboration with the City of Joburg, Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo and the UN Environment Programme. The Big Show is an original story about two young girls who learn their role as environmental stewards of our planet. You can purchase the book at https://bridgebooks.co.za/products/the-big-show
- We join our friends at Afrika Tikkun to celebrate World Play Day with traditional African games and Play Africa’s exhibits and programmes at Uthando Early Childhood Development Centre.
- The Play Africa Team visits Kohl Children’s Museum to bring Art Across Oceans to children in Chicago, connecting children and their creative artwork across two continents through collaborative play and learning.
- Art Across Oceans launches in Johannesburg with teams from Play Africa and Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago. AAO brings children together from across oceans to explore their creativity through mono-printing, stop-motion animation and play. WATCH VIDEO
- Children work together to build rocket ships, houses and motorcycles with the Imagination Playground and recreate their structures with art materials at Japari School in Johannesburg.
- Play Africa Prototyping Begins! Children at Leratong Pre-Primary School in Alexandra, Johannesburg burst with laughter and excitement as the open the Imagination Playground for the first time. This was made possible by the generous support of our friends and donors on #GivingTuesday 2015 WATCH VIDEO